Thursday, January 14, 2010

Powdered Milk

Ok so funny story. I've just accepted that apparently everyone at church is aware of my year long project. I've stopped marveling when practically everyone there makes comments to me about how it's going, but today I really did get a shock. I walk into my hairdressers salon to get my hair done and she says to me, "Oh my gosh, how is your food storage thing going?" LOL! I guess there really will be no way to escape this path. Even my hairdresser is watching me.

So we have had some successes and some failures so far this week. I did manage to make cheese. It was DISGUSTING! I think I can find a better recipe though so I'll be trying that one again. We had two dinner recipes that were a hit. I know many of you want copies of recipes so I have to figure out how to make like a separate section for recipes so that the blog doesn't get super long. I don't know how to do this so I'm going to have to ask for help. Alisa - I know you're reading this. HELP!!

My family is really being super good sports so far. I have to tell you, even the recipes that we make and are keeping are not delicious. We keep them because they are edible. I can totally see why so fewer people were obese 100 years ago. There is no chance of stuffing your face just because the food is so good. You eat because you are hungry and as soon as you are not hungry, you stop eating. We are back to looking at food purely as fuel. I suppose that is a healthier relationship to have with food but it's hard. Last night a commercial for Chili's Restaurant came on and I thought I was going to die. Big saucy, cheesy dishes, brownie and ice cream smothered in hot fudge...... I can't go on.

One last funny thing. We are purely on powdered milk. I've tried all the tricks to make it taste good but nothing really works. I can make it taste better, but nothing makes it taste good. Anyway, my 5 year old comes up to me yesterday all excited and says, "Mom! When I plug my nose, I can't taste the milk at all!" I was laughing so hard. I took a picture of him eating his homemade cold cereal with powdered milk using his nose plugging trick.

2 comments:

  1. Jaxson is the best - what a clever boy he is! And definitely a good sport! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, and about you hair, I saw you across the masses of people today at church today....SO cute!!

    I'll have to talk to you more about the recipe you used for the cheese. Was it the one we found in that book that I copied for you?

    My idea for posting your recipes is to start another blog for the recipes and link it to this one. I can help you do it if you want me to.

    Last thought to comment on about this post: Food as fuel. Your family is going to go through the roof when the plums and apricots are ready this year. Your going to have to police the fruit trees.

    ReplyDelete