Sunday, March 28, 2010

Good Food Storage book

I haven't posted a lot of recipes lately. That is because I have been systematically trying every recipe out of my new book Dinner is in the Jar. Because almost all of the recipes from the book have been good, it would surely break copyright laws for me to post them all on my site.

If you are looking for a bunch of good recipes you should definitely purchase this book. The author has a very good grip on the use of spices and, even though the rest of the ingredients are fairly plain, most of the recipes are pretty tasty. Plus they give you a list of items you need to store to make all of these recipes.

The author promotes this book of recipes as a great way to store your 3 month supply. However, I will probably use these recipes with my long term storage instead of my 3 month supply. Your 3 month supply is meant to be rotated in with your regular meals and, although these recipes are good compared to other things we have eaten lately, they are not going to be something you want rotate into your regular menus I don't think. They are, however, FABULOUS "convenience" food when added into your year's supply.

On another note. I decided to stop torturing my family with powdered milk and powdered butter. I don't think that there is anything more I can learn from continuing to force them to drink powdered milk and use reconstituted butter. I am still using them in my recipes but I bought some fresh stuff this week for them to eat. It was pretty funny actually. My husband opened the fridge, looks suspiciously at the gallon of milk in the door and says, "Is this....real milk?" I said yes. He grabs it immediately as if it will disappear, says, "Oh YES!!" and poured himself a giant glass.

I am still purchasing different brands of powdered milk and butter so that I can find the best tasting ones and store them. Ordering 2 more kinds this week.

9 comments:

  1. Bummer, it's not in my county library system. However, there are other food storage cookbooks and I never thought of borrowing one before. Thanks for sparking that idea in my brain!

    Spices do make an amazing difference. I'm sure your family will enjoy fresh milk, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you post a few of the vegetarian ones? Or let me borrow the book for a day when you come up next? I will not purchase the book, due to the low number of veg dishes offered in it.
    That is funny about Rob and then milk. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll find the veggie ones for you. I'm not sure how many there are but it's not a lot. Although with many of them you could probably just leave the meat out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yah for milk! :) I love you and all that you are doing :) But milk....wellllll it is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's even more amazing when you haven't had it for 3 months :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't say much for the milk I haven't had it in 5 years now and really don't miss it much. That is pretty funny about Rob though :) You need to keep a video camera around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cherish-- the cookbook Sherida mentioned just came out at the first of the year so it won't be found unless you order yourself a copy. If you're interested, here's the website: www.dinnerisinthejar.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the book recommendation! I'm vegetarian as well but am going to give it a try. It's usually pretty easy to sub with tvp or beans or something.

    Interesting about the milk, is it because it's LTS? I use the instant stuff and chilled it tastes exactly the same as fresh stuff to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you tried Thrive Life's Instant Milk. It is different from the Powdered Milk and actually tastes good. I use a little less powder than suggested, but I know some that prefer more. You can check it out at alytle.thrivelife.com/milk-powder.html

    ReplyDelete